Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Dresser Re-Do



FACT: I have never bought a dresser. When I was about 6 my parents bought me some furniture...a tall dresser with a baby clothes cupboard on top, a three drawer dresser with a book shelf on top, and a desk. All matching. I decided at one point I wanted to save it for my future baby and have always done my best to take good care of it. The bumps and scratches it has I know and each one was heart breaking. But they survived and I was able to pass them on to my daughter...and they are in surprisingly good condition.

So...no that I no longer have dressers to my clothes in, and the fact that we are down to just one income means that we have to use Nick's dresser. Shudder. Nick bought his dresser many years ago at Wal-Mart or Kmart for about $79. I absolutely hated the way it looked in our room. So I decided to do something about it. No...I did not throw it into the fire....I refurbished it! And it really looks great. I did it for about the same amount of money it cost Nick to buy it all those years ago.

First, Nick reinforced the drawers with silicone. We let it dry for about two days before we did anything else. Next, we headed to Lowe's. I bought some paint, new drawer pulls (or knobs), and some wood embellishments. Oh and of course paint brush and a plastic drop cloth to protect the surface I painted on.

Here's step by step what I did to fix up the dresser.

  1. Placed the dresser on plastic drop cloth and opened up windows.
  2. Cleaned the dresser with rubbing alcohol. Since It has that cheepo wood finish stuff on it, I did not feel the need to sand it.
  3. Pulled out all the drawers.
  4. Removed the old drawer pulls.
  5. Attached the wood embellishments with Mod Podge. You can also use wood glue...but I had Mod Podge so I used that.
  6. Painted the entire dresser and drawers. I think I did 3 coats of paint. I used a half gallon of Valspar Hi-Def paint with the primer added in "Lincoln Cottage Black," with a semi-gloss finish.
  7. I let it dry over night and then attached the new drawer pulls. 



Attaching the wood embellishments.









New drawer pulls.








If you  decide to do something like this...do a little research first to see what kind of paint works best with the surface you are using. Different types of wood require different types of paint, sanding, primer, etc.

Now for the before and after pics. :)






I had paint left over...so I painted my jewlery box to match.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive suggestions are fine...but please be respectful and do not post negative stuff on here. I am encouraging a positive atmosphere for other stay at home parents.