Monday, April 16, 2012

Gift for a Geek



So what is a stay at home mom with no income supposed to get for her guy for the anniversary? Hmmmm....I decided to make something...but what? He's not one of those "10 things I love about you" kinda guys. I went into his office with a thought...maybe some kind of pencil holder using a mason jar....hmmm...no he has a bat man one I got for $1 at Target. And then I saw the thing that totally irritates me (besides the pile of empty water bottles), the paper towel he uses as a coaster. And like lightning it hit me...I'll make him some geeky coasters!

Here's my how to...you can recreate for your geek or use any kind of paper for any event. These were easy to make and I had all the materials in my craft area!

Materials:
  • Cork square
  • Mod Podge
  • Tissue paper (or any other kind of paper)...optional
  • Print out or picture you want to use
  • Sponge applicator
  • Exacto knife and cutting mat
  •  Brayer 
  • Sharpee or marker







Using a stencil or any kind of circular thing (cup, small bowl) trace the outline of the circle onto the cork. Using the Exacto knife, cut out the circle.













Dip the sponge applicator in Mod Podge and paint onto the cork. Lay the tissue paper on the wet Mod Podge and use brayer to smooth it out, but be gentle...the tissue paper can rip. You can skip this step if you picture totally covers the coaster. Mine did not so I used black tissue paper as a background.
















Apply another coat of Mod Podge to the tissue paper, then add picture and smooth with the brayer.














Apply two more coats of Mod Podge allowing about 10 minutes of dry time between coats.


Allow the coasters to dry completely and trim and excess paper from the edges using exacto knife. Mod Podge the edges and allow to dry.

My geek likes them...let me know if yours does too!

UPDATE: If the Mod Podge seems tacky after you have let it dry, spray it with a clear acrylic sealer.

1 comment:

Constructive suggestions are fine...but please be respectful and do not post negative stuff on here. I am encouraging a positive atmosphere for other stay at home parents.