Saturday, June 2, 2012

Mud Bugs...My First Time



Mud Bugs (or crawfish) are a Louisiana delicacy. People cannot wait for crawfish season. To celebrate, our town has a big festival called Mud Bug Madness. They have food vendors with various southern foods, music, art vendors, and some kids activities. I was really excited to go and even passed up a night out to dinner so we could make sure we had room in the budget for this event.

Fast forward to the day...95 degrees, 57% humidity. Yuck. Parking $10 and a few blocks walk. Entry free since we have military ID (saved us $10). We walked around a bit to get the feel of the land first. The kids activities were all too old for our daughter...so we went straight for the food. We ordered our crawfish: 3 pounds plus potatoes and corn for $9. Not a bad price at all...so we got two plates. We found a place to sit on a bench in the shade (unfortunately all the tables were taken). And the gentleman next to us lights up a stogie. Great....we are not smokers and do not want our daughter exposed either. So we pack it in...take our food to go and enjoy our first crawfish experience in the comfort of our own home, in our air conditioned kitchen.





I almost forgot the best part. While walking back to the car, we are almost run over in the middle of the cross walk when WE had the green light to walk. One thing to know about Louisiana...people are horrible drivers here! They do not pay attention...at all. Every day there are stories of pedestrians getting hit. Every time I brave the roads, I am horrified by the blatant lack of respect for the rules of the road. Driving on the wrong side of the road, stopping in the middle of an intersection because..whoops I just realized the light is red (and then sitting there), and forget the California roll at stop signs....stop signs and stop lights are more like a "suggestion" here. I shared a few of the pictures I have captured of BAD DRIVERS (remember I just moved here in February).

 Driving on the wrong side of the road...and completely oblivious to it.

The awesome mark of a parking lot hit and run on my car (nope..no note)

Stopped way over the white line at a red light (this is not even the worst I have seen)

So you can understand why, even though I was originally excited to get out of the house, I was super glad to be back home. And the crawfish were delicious. BUT...a lot of work for very little meat.

Next week, I am going to try to brave the farmers market...hopefully I won't get run over in a cross walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive suggestions are fine...but please be respectful and do not post negative stuff on here. I am encouraging a positive atmosphere for other stay at home parents.