Monday, May 28, 2012

Sad News...Wishing I Was Back Home

I haven't quite gotten used to the idea of Louisiana being home. For me, Southern California will probably always be home. It's where I was born and raised, its where my friends and family are...and though it has its issues...it is an amazing place. Times like now I am especially wishing I was there to help a friend in mourning.

I met Andy and his wife Anne a few years ago. I contacted Andy because he did an internet show about auto racing and I wanted to get the driver I represented on the show (I was doing marketing for my dad's NASCAR team). Andy so kindly not only had the driver on via phone conference, but he asked me to come on too in person. Andy turned out to be a huge supporter of the race team. Anne (a photographer) took some pictures of the car for us and allowed us to use them for whatever we needed.

Then Anne and Andy received devastating news...Anne had breast cancer. Not one to be brought down, Anne still did her photography...she still went to the races with Andy. My mom invited her into our trailer during a race day to cool off and get some food and drinks. My mom, no stranger to the horrors of cancer (lost 3 close family members in a short period of time), decided to pay tribute to the race fans who had cancer:survivors, those who were still fighting, and those who lost their battle. Anne was given a sticker on the car with her name and the breast cancer awareness ribbon. The car now has 60 names and ribbons on it with the simple slogan "Beat Cancer." If you would like more information on this...please click here: Beat Cancer.

Although he had his own problems to worry about, Andy was such a good friend in my family's time of need. My mom had a couple of strokes and gall bladder surgery and Andy so kindly offered to drive my mom to the hospital if needed, or help in anyway. Andy also recently lost his brother very suddenly.

And now...Anne has lost her long battle with breast cancer. My heart breaks for Andy and all the people who loved her. I know Anne is no longer suffering and that probably gives a little comfort. But I know she will be greatly missed. I am very sad that I'm not back home to help my friend, Andy. I wish I could be there for him, like he was for me and my family. Anne was a beautiful and talented woman...she was 40 years old. And cancer took her away too soon. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive suggestions are fine...but please be respectful and do not post negative stuff on here. I am encouraging a positive atmosphere for other stay at home parents.