Saturday, September 15, 2012

Food Vacation

I was soooo very bad. We ate at all our favorite places...and although we did a LOT of walking, I still gained 5 pounds. But it was worth it! I'm just working extra hard now that I'm back. I may have gotten a few of the days mixed up as to where we were, but you get the idea :)

Pretty much as soon as we got off the plane, we were ready to dig in. For our first lunch we had burritos at Chipotle, and introduced my mom (Terri) to the yumminess. It was so good to have Chipotle! That night my family and some of Nick's Air Force friends met us for dinner at Shakey's pizza. Yes, we can get pizza out here, but not Mojo potatoes!!!

The next day we went to the Arboretum, and what was across the street? The mall...and my how it has grown! When I was little, my mom used to take us to Hot Dog on a Stick there and it was downstairs. There was a pizza place across from it, and one other restaurant. Now there is a huge food court. It may be in a new location, but Hot Dog on a Stick is still there...and soooo sooo good. Why do I love this place? Besides the fact that their food is delicious...the hot dogs are either turkey or veggie, which is great for me since I don't eat beef. And they are fried in soy oil, so lower calorie. And the cheese on a stick is one of my favorites as well.

After lunch we hit up See's candy (another place we don't have here). I got a few of my favorites, and Liv enjoyed a chocolate sucker.




That night, we drove south to meet Nick's family and visited another favorite, Miguel Jr.'s. I ate here so many times when we lived in So Cal, that I was sick of it...but after the 7 month break, it was so good! My favorite is the El Potato burrito with chicken. Mmmmm!
The next day brought more favorites...Pick-Up Stix, some seriously good "chinese" food. If you ever make it there try their Cream Cheese won-tons.

Friday we met up with my sister Sarah and my friend Elisa at the Block in Orange (now called the Outlets), and enjoyed a smoothie from Juice it Up. Later, a couple of our friends met us in Orange County for the International Food Festival. My first indulgence a chicken "street: taco. WOW! I missed authentic tacos! I also had a gyro that was really good too.

Saturday, we were nursing a bit of a hang over. But we managed to make it out for dinner at Thai House Restaurant. There is NO Thai food here. There is a fusion place that is not too bad, but I seriously love Thai food and really missed it!

Sunday we had a pool party at my mom's (Cindy) house. So we had party food.

Monday we headed out to Disneyland. I have a few favorite things at Disneyland...unfortunately I missed out on one of them (the Dole Pineapple Whip). But..even though it was hot out, I had a bowl of clam chowder in New Orleans Square (ironic?). And that night we ate dinner in Downtown Disney at the Rain Forest Cafe.
Tuesday, before heading south again, we got lunch at Panera Bread. That night we had dinner at CPK (California Pizza Kitchen). My favorites there, the Thai Crunch salad (can't get salads like that here) and the Pear Gorgonzola pizza.

Wednesday we went further south to the San Diego Zoo. They have a cafe there, near the elephants, where we like to eat. We spent the next few nights at our friend's house and he graciously made us dinner that night. It was really good too...carne and pollo asada, fresh guacamole... :)

Thursday we went to my grandma's house and had lunch at Red Robin. I missed those juicy turkey burgers and fries! Yum! Then that night we met up with friends for sushi at Nick's favorite sushi place, Hana. You cannot get sushi like that here in LA! Plus, it was really good to see our friends.

Friday, Nick's mom had a BBQ for us...then we headed back to my parents' house.

Unfortunately, Liv got sick, which meant we had to curb some of our plans. Originally, we were going to go to Shakey's pizza to celebrate one of my best friend's son's birthday. But with Liv being sick, I didn't want to get him sick and I didn't want Liv to get too worn out either. After the party, we were going to go to the LA County Fair. Of course my favorite part is the food! We went, only because my dad had already bought the tickets and only for a short time. Long enough for Liv to pet the animals, ride a pony, and then we grabbed some food to go. What did I get? Deep fried veggie plate and deep fried kool-aide. We stopped at In-n-Out for Nick.

Sunday, Liv still had the sniffles (but after some rest was not nearly as cranky)...so we decided some salty air would be good for her. I think the sun and salt water can cure anything. My dad and mom (Terri) packed lunch and snacks and with my brother's lady, Crystal, and their three kids in tow we all went to Huntington Beach. It was a perfect beach day! And on the way home we stopped at another favorite, Wahoo's Fish Tacos. They have some of the BEST shrimp tacos.

Monday I was in a mood....it was time to pack up....My dad took us to dinner at another favorite, North Woods Inn. Their salad (mix the red cabbage and the regular salad) is hands down one of the things I miss about California food the most. Plus, you get to eat peanuts and throw the shells on the floor. For dessert we met the moms (my mom Cindy and Nick's mom) and siblings at the Cheesecake Factory.

And then....it was time to go home....I don't really have any favorites here. I do like the Long Horn Steak House. But I definitely miss the fresh salads, sushi, and Mexican food in So Cal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive suggestions are fine...but please be respectful and do not post negative stuff on here. I am encouraging a positive atmosphere for other stay at home parents.